In-app bidding best practices
In-app bidding will deliver maximum revenue when you implement these best practices:
- When using a hybrid model (a waterfall that includes both bidding and non-bidding sources), move all non-bidding sources to one tier, and use the Sort by CPM waterfall tier type to ensure the non-bidding instances are sorted in descending order according to eCPM. Instances out of order could result in sub-optimal distribution of impressions between the bidders and the waterfall.
- Use multiple bidding networks. Performance is expected to be stronger when more than one network is participating in the auction.
- To maximize performance, networks should operate as only bidders or non-bidders, never both at the same time in the same waterfall.
- For non-bidding instances, after creating a new instance or updating the price of an existing instance, use the rate function to assign the intended eCPM of that instance. This ensures immediate optimization to maintain a waterfall sorted by descending eCPM.
- Deprecate waterfall instances that have low traffic (less than 2% SOV of revenue) which could also affect the distribution of impressions to the bidder and waterfall.
- Consider deprecating networks contributing less than 5% share of voice of overall revenue, to reduce operation overhead by managing fewer sources.
- Use the bidding test to find the right strategy for your app: in-app bidding hybrid or a traditional waterfall without bidding.
- Strategize with your ironSource team. Together with your account manager, you can decide on a monetization action plan to deliver optimal performance and revenue.