Best Practices: Instances and Waterfall Management
Multiple Instances is an advanced feature which allows you to expand revenue opportunities with your ad network partners through waterfall optimization.
In this guide you will find best practices on the optimal configuration of your waterfall instances, whether you are using ironSource’s Mediation solution or mediating ironSource using a 3rd party Mediation solution.
Using Instances with ironSource Mediation
- It’s recommended to have just one instance from each network in the auto-optimization group. Ideally without a set eCPM, allowing the network achieve it’s natural performance.
- For ironSource network:
- Always use the ‘Default’ Instance (Instance ID 0) as the auto-optimization instance
- Use the optimized pricing model
- Any instance from any network with a fixed rate should be placed into a manual position. Use as many instances as you want, and place them in descending order according to rate.
- It’s always best to communicate and discuss the with each network which position they’ll be achieving with the rate you’ve agreed to.
Creating and Managing Groups
Groups allow the flexibility to control your waterfall based on country and user segment or a combination of both.
- Be careful not to create groups that have conflicting settings
- There is a hierarchy function in the group order, meaning the 1st group will override the 2nd group, and so on. Keep this in mind when applying the same countries or user segments to multiple groups:
- Deactivate instances intended for specific countries with a specific deal on other countries/groups where that deal does not apply. This ensures there’s no ad delivery on countries outside of the agreed targeting and terms, which can influence or harm the performance of the deal.
Using Instances with 3rd Party Mediation Solutions (iS Network only)
- It’s important to place instances in ascending order, starting with the smallest Instance ID in the top position (always 0) to the largest ID at the bottom. Each of these instances should have a decreasing CPM rate according to their waterfall position.
- Specifically with MoPub and AdMob, ironSource instances should run within only one Ad Unit waterfall.